LOGAN — The trial for a 25-year-old man accused of raping an underage girl last summer will likely be canceled, as attorneys for both sides work out a last minute plea deal.
Miguel A. Sanchez-Rosario appeared in 1st District Court Tuesday morning for a final pretrial conference. He was previously charged with rape, a first-degree felony; two counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, a second-degree felony; and two counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, a third-degree felony. The three-day jury trial is scheduled to begin December 12.
Defense attorney Shanon Demler told the court, prosecutors had made a plea offer that they were likely to accept. He asked the court for a week though to work out details of the offer with the defendant and an interpreter.
Prosecutors allege that on June 13 the 17-year-old girl reported being raped by Sanchez-Rosario. She told police she met the Logan man on Snapchat sometime during the last two weeks of July 2017.
The girl said she had consensual sex with Sanchez-Rosario three times, but on the fourth occasion he raped her. She explained telling the defendant she was not interested in having sex while they were going for a drive.
According to the juvenile, Sanchez-Rosario parked the car in a secluded area in Providence, where he forced her to perform sex acts. He then forced himself on her and raped her.
When officers interviewed Sanchez-Rosario, he claimed that the sex was always consensual. He told them that he knew the girl was eight years younger than him. He also admitted to having two nude photos of the juvenile on his phone.
Sanchez-Rosario remains in the Cache County Jail on $50,000 bail. He could face up to life in prison. He is scheduled to appear again in court November 20.