LOGAN — A judge has ruled to bind Wyatt Martin over on charges that he raped three women. Judge Thomas Willmore bound the 21-year-old Providence man over on 9 of the 11 charges against him and refused to release him on bail.
Martin appeared in 1st District Court Friday afternoon for a preliminary hearing. He pleaded not guilty to two counts of rape, two counts object rape and one count of aggravated kidnapping, all first-degree felonies; along with possession of a firearm by a restricted person, a third-degree felony and two misdemeanors. The charges are part of three separate cases.
The rulings came after more than six hours of testimony from three victims, their friends and law enforcement.
The first victim described how Martin allegedly raped her during a party at his home on September 22. She said the assault took place in his bedroom, after she had been pressured to drink alcohol by other party goers.
The woman told the court how Martin ripped her shirt off and threw her on a bed and she told him no and resisted. He allegedly told her to, “Just let it happen.” She also described trying to push the victim away until he threatened to tie her up with a strap. She explained that she later had to seek medical care at a hospital because of the severity of her injuries after the rape.
The second victim, who previously dated Martin, testified how she was raped by him after they broke up. She explained on September 7 she went to the suspect’s home after he said he had a surprise for her.
She claimed that when she arrived at Martin’s home he blindfolded her, tied her up and sexually assaulted her with an adult novelty toy. He also allegedly filmed the assault, and threatened to blackmail her with it.
Later, Logan City Police officer Matt Pearce testified about finding screen shots on Martin’s phone, showing the second victim tied up and blindfolded. He said they also found multiple photos of other women.
A third victim later testified about also being raped in March 2017. She spoke about drinking at Martin’s home on the night of the alleged assault. She explained how she, “blacked out and later woke up in his bedroom.” As she came to, the suspect was taking her clothes off and raping her.
The victim claimed she resisted and said, “No I don’t want this.” The suspect apparently told her, “just let it happen.” She later explained that she didn’t report the assault to deputies until news reports came out about the first assault.
Cache County Sheriff’s detective Dustin Batt said Martin later admitted to investigators, during an interview with him at the jail, about having sex with the third victim.
Judge Willmore ordered Martin to appear again in court February 15 and refused to allow him bail, explaining that the evidence showed he is a danger to the community.
Martin has claimed that he was falsely accused. He is being held in the Cache County Jail and could face up to life in prison if convicted.