Boy dies from swallowing paint thinner

WILLARD, Utah (AP) — Police say a boy in Box Elder County has died after either inhaling or ingesting paint thinner.The 14-month-old boy from Willard was pronounced dead at a hospital on Tuesday night. Police say he apparently knocked over a can of the solvent.Willard Police Chief Jim Summerill says the accident is under investigation but he said the toddler was being supervised at the time of the incident.Medical examiners are performing an autopsy. The boy’s name was not immediately released.Scott Marshall, an assistant director at the Utah Poison Control Center, says swallowing paint thinner or inhaling its fumes might not cause death. But he says paint thinner can be deadly for children if the fluid gets in the lungs.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!