Mother and two children believed to be buried beneath mud

What started as a clean up operation, then-turned rescue operation, has now turned into a recovery operation. Approximately 12 hours after a landslide occurred in Logan City’s Island neighborhood, completely demolishing one home and severely damaging four others, Logan City Fire Chief Mark Meaker declared that the occupants of the home located at 921 E. Canyon Road most likely did not survive the slide.Meaker says that the mud, earth and debris came down the hillside with such force that it pushed the home off its foundation, knocked the roof off, and moved the roof several feet into the front yard. The back part of the home also filled up with mud and dirt and it is believed a mother and her two children are most likely buried beneath the mud in that part of the home.The two-thirds of the house that were not searched as of Saturday night, Meaker said, were covered by debris from the mountain. “Everybody is in agreement that there’s not any reasonable chance of anybody surviving in what’s left there right now,” Meaker said. “At this point we consider it a body recovery effort and not a rescue.”Because of the unstable nature of the hillside, crews have had to proceed slowly and with extreme caution in peeling back the house one layer at a time in their search for a mother and her two children who were

<a href=””>believed to be inside the home at the time of its collapse</a>

. In fact, crews have had to suspend their search until the hillside becomes more stable.”We’ll risk a lot to save a lot, we’ll risk a little to save a little, and we’ll risk nothing to save nothing,” Meaker said of the decision making process that led officials to call off the search late Saturday.During a late press conference Saturday night, Chief Meaker explained that rescue dogs worked for hours on end, optical cameras were brought in to scope areas of the home and intense listening devices were used, all in an effort to determine any signs of life. Specialists even used cell phone technology, Meaker explained, to try to locate the mother’s cell phone.It was reported that the woman made a call to her landlords just minutes before the home collapsed, telling them that water was coming in to the home. Meaker said that no cell phone signal could be located, which he believed to mean that the phone was buried so deep or had been disabled.Engineers have determined the hillside to be too unstable for work to continue at the time being, which means the recovery efforts may not resume until the hillside stabilizes and dries out more. It could be days before the bodies are finally recovered.Logan Mayor Randy Watts also participated in the press conference and was visibly shaken by the tragedy. Mayor Watts has issued an order that the complete hillside area and all of its trails are restricted until further notice for safety reasons.Listen to the entire press conference with Mayor Randy Watts and Chief Meaker by

<a href=”″>clicking here</a>


Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!