House explosion victims in stable condition (with photo gallery)

A house explosion in College Ward Thursday morning sent two people to hospitals and left a house engulfed in flames. Tony and Mary Sorensen reportedly were house sitting for their parents at the home at 2907 S. 2400 West in Young Ward when a propane leak caused an explosion at about 10:20 a.m. Dennis Sorensen, the owner of the home, and his wife are currently on an LDS mission in Scotland. Shane Zilles, off-duty law enforcement official, and his father were able to evacuate the Sorensens from the basement of the home moments before a second explosion totally engulfed the home. Tony Sorensen, 27, reportedly was transported via AirMed to the University Hospital Burn Unit to be treated for burns over 65 percent of his body. His sister Mary, 23, was taken to Logan Regional Hospital to be treated for cuts and burns to her face. Both were reported to be in stable condition Thursday evening, although Tony Sorensen was slated to undergo surgery. All homes in that area of the valley are reportedly heated by large propane gas tanks and there are no fire hydrants in the neighborhood. Sheriff’s officials said that the propane system at the Sorensen home was serviced and filled on Wednesday by Pitchers Sales Farm Machinery. Several small leaks were detected in the propane tank system on Wednesday, and the Sorensens reportedly were scheduled to have the leaks repaired on Thursday. Debris from the explosion was scattered throughout the yard and in trees. Units from Logan, Wellsville, Mendon, and Cache County responded to the scene. An initial report from the incident indicated that Jardine Petroleum was involved in the incident, but that business had nothing to do with the propane tanks at the home or the explosion.

Photo gallery photos courtesy Bracken Berger

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!