Important safety tips for the holidays

It won’t be long now before a lot of people will be decorating their homes for the Christmas season. That is always fun but Jake Saunders, of the Cache Valley Fire Public Education Coalition, says it can also be dangerous. Saunders says people should be very careful not to overload electrical circuits and cords can be a problem as they run through the house, especially if they get covered with rugs or furniture. The Logan firefighter says candles are all too often a problem. “They are great, make our homes smell nice, and they’re cozy,” Saunders explains. “They give off a nice soft light.” But Saunders warns that with those nice aesthetics, candles come with some real dangers, too. “We need to make sure we never leave them unattended, that we place them burning in a place where they’re not going to catch the wall above them on fire or a curtain or underneath the cabinets on our kitchen tops where they’ll start those on fire as well,” Saunders says. “We can be aware of all of those things at the house to keep them safer during the holiday season.” He says several serious local fires have been caused by the misuse of candles, some resulting in death.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!