Cache Valley Mall evacuated Monday morning

The Cache Valley Mall was closed down for a few hours this morning as fire and HAZMAT officials responded to reports of a strange odor. According to the Logan City website, it was determined that a battery being charged was the source of the smell. The battery was overcharged causing the acid inside to boil, causing the fumes.Earlier, Logan Police Sgt. Jason Olsen said people were asked to stay away until it had been determined that the mall was safe.Officials responded to the mall Monday morning to investigate and all non-essential mall employees were evacuated. The mall re-opened just after 11 a.m.At 11:42 a.m., all emergency units announced they were finished at the mall and were leaving the scene.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!