Tuition will increase at USU next year, Albrecht says

Tuition will rise for fall 2010, said USU President Stan Albrecht at the tuition proposal in the Sunburst Lounge Wednesday.Albrecht said the rise in tuition will mostly be in the second tier. The first tier will raise 1.5 percent, while the second tier will go up 6 percent. The combined 7.5 percent equates to about $151 per student.The two-tier tuition system was created in 2001 by the Utah Legislature, Albrecht said. The first tier is set by the State Board of Regents.Dixie State University and Southern Utah University will see a double-digit increase in tuition fees, Albrecht said. The increases are estimated to be about 12 percent for the two schools.Raising tuition prices is never fun to do, Albrecht said.”Clearly this is not the highlight in anyone’s life,” Albrecht said.Albrecht said USU has tried to keep the increase in tuition fees as low as possible.”We’re at the lowest number that we could reach in terms of the numbers we were looking at,” Albrecht said.Albrecht went on to say that because the first tier increase has been so modest over the past couple of years, USU is able to address campus issues “without really rationing tuition up at an extremely high level.”Even with the rise in tuition, USU will still have the second lowest tuition cost in the western U.S., Albrecht said.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!