70 residents displaced by Logan apartment fire (with photo gallery)

Investigation is continuing into the cause of a two-alarm fire Friday night at a housing complex near Utah State University. The fire damaged two of the units and caused the evacuation of the apartment’s occupants, Logan Assistant Police Chief Jeff Curtis said. No one was injured in the blaze, which reportedly happened at about 10:15 p.m. at the Meadow View Apartments complex at 640 E. 900 North. The apartment complex has 20 units, and the fire shut down the entire complex for the evening. As part of the county’s automatic fire aid agreements, crews from Logan, North Logan, Smithfield, Wellsville, Cache County and Hyrum responded to the fire. Police had to shut down traffic on 900 North between 600 and 700 East while the fire was being put out. — The Logan Fire Department released the following press release regarding the incident: The professional work by firefighters contained a difficult fire in two apartments during a blaze located at 640 East 900 North Friday night. The first alarm was called in to 911 dispatch at 10:14 pm and the second alarm was needed by 10:32 pm. Upon arrival crews were faced with heavy smoke and fire showing through the roof of the 4 story apartment building that housed 20 apartments and 70 student tenants. Evacuation efforts were well underway by Logan City Police Department upon fire fighters arrival. Firefighters faced difficulties due to the limited access because of construction in the area to rebuild a concrete canal wall. “It took a lot of hard work by our personnel to extend handlines to the fourth floor and roof of the building.” Said Craig Humphreys, Fire Marshal for the Logan City Fire Department. “They’ve done a tremendous job here in a difficult situation.” It took about an hour and approx. 50 firefighters from Logan, North Logan, Smithfield, Cache County, Hyrum and Wellsville Fire Departments to gain control of the blaze. “The great cooperation and help from surrounding departments is invaluable at these scenes.” The fire department and building department determined that because the utilities had been damaged none of tenants were allowed to return to their apartments on Friday night displacing about 70 people. With assistance from friends, family, and the Red Cross all had somewhere they would be able to stay. The damage was mostly confined to two apartments on the fourth level and the roof. Some minor damage was reported in a third apartment. There were no injuries to civilians and one minor injury to a firefighter that were reported. Throughout the night Officers and Firefighters continually checked the building to ensure no flare-ups and to ensure the building was secure. Firefighters wrapped up fire suppression activities about 1:00 am and returned to the scene Saturday morning to investigate the cause of the blaze.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!