Fire destroys trailer housing sewer plant algae project

A fire in a trailer that housed a USU research project at Logan’s sewage treatment facility caused $100,000 worth of damage Wednesday morning.The blaze was called in to 911 just after 5 a.m. after a passerby on Valley View Highway saw flames coming out of a portable office-type trailer near the sewer ponds west of Logan. Logan Fire Marshal Craig Humphreys said the fire was accidental in nature and was caused by some electrical malfunctions, but it did a significant amount of damage to the trailer which contained an office area and a laboratory.The trailer was being used as part of Utah State University’s experiments involving growing algae at the sewer treatment facility to deal with high phosphorous levels in the sewage. While equipment and materials in the facility were destroyed by the fire, Humphreys said, data from the experiment reportedly was kept on laptops and thumb USB drives, preserving much of the information from the study.”They were pretty much done with the study but were still doing a few things in this trailer,” Humphreys said.The fire reportedly was extinguished soon after crews arrived and there were no injuries during the fire fight.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!