It will be a while before the Logan Municipal Council decides whether or not to lift its ban against Main Street banners that advertise upcoming local events.The ban was placed earlier this year for what officials called “safety reasons.” At Tuesday’s meeting more than a dozen people from various non-profit groups asked the council to re-consider the ban. They said for many years the banners have helped people know about events going on that have brought visitors in and helped improve the economy.Mayor Randy Watts says it worked for a while but things have changed since the 1980s.”The lawsuits aren’t $100,000 anymore, they’re millions,” Watts says. “That’s what’s happening. And that really gets back to my view of what I don’t want, to put the entire city in a risk situation because I have to answer for the entire city, not just a segment.”Community Development Director Jay Nielsen has come up with suggestions on how advertising can be done without creating safety hazards. There will be further discussion at a future council meeting.
Watts concerned that Main Street banners put entire city at risk
Free News Delivery by Email
Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!