Until two years ago, no one had heard of Cryptosporidium. But after the massive outbreak in Salt Lake pools the pathogen, also known as ‘Crypto’, became a household name. Spread through human feces, Crypto lurked in the chlorinated waters of public pools, causing severe flu-like symptoms to any who ingested it. This year new cases of cryptosporidiosis have been confirmed, but the Logan Aquatic Center isn’t all that worried. “It’s not affecting us in anyway now,” says Aquatic Supervisor Dan Blakely. “A few years ago when there was an outbreak we put a UV system in, so we’ve protected ourselves from this.”The new sanitizing system uses high intensity Ultra Violet rays to kill any bacteria the chlorine hasn’t. Because the water is that much cleaner, Blakely is confident this year will not be a repeat of the outbreak in 2008. “That actually affected the pool quite a bit,” he says, “they were having to super chlorinate, which meant that the pool had to be shut down for 24 to 48 hours. They did that three times that season. As you can imagine that’s a big loss of revenue and upset patrons that wanted to use the facility.”After the 2008 outbreak the state regulated public pools requiring children three and under to wear disposable swim diapers and another plastic diaper on top. “We’ve been pretty strict on enforcing that,” says Blakely.With these preventative measures, all can rest easy knowing the pool is sure to be Crypto-free, he says. “We took the procedures to put in the new system, you know the UV system, and putting in the state-mandated laws with the diapers so we’re right on top of it as soon as it happens.”
Free News Delivery by Email
Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!