Summer is the time for sharing: memories, food, good times.Oh, and the occasional, accidental bit of foodborne bacteria. Adrie Roberts from USU Extension said food often gets left out in the heat at picnics, and cooked meat is cross-contaminated with the raw meat at barbecues, creating opportunities for bacteria growth and spread.Locals can learn how to prevent the spread of food-borne illnesses at a workshop and cooking class at 7 p.m. July 20 at the Cache County Administration Building multipurpose room, 179 N. Main Street. The workshop is free, and this month’s class will also highlight how to purchase and cook with apricots.The class, which is presented in a monthly series highlighting topics important to the home, is put on by USU Extension with help from a U.S. Department of Agriculture grant. The class will be presented again at 11 a.m. July 28 at the Cache County Administration Building multipurpose room.Roberts said food left out for two hours begins to grow bacteria, and after four hours the food should be thrown out. After a few hours, bacteria grown is enough to make the eater get sick and feel “pretty darn awful,” she said.- email@example.com
Free News Delivery by Email
Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!