Students act as ‘victims’ in staged explosion

“Logan Fire Department received a call at 10 a.m., to respond to a reported explosion at the church located near the hospital,” said Craig Humphreys, assistant fire chief and fire marshal, to a group of journalists at Logan Regional Hospital, Saturday morning. Humphreys said people contaminated by chemicals from the bomb were treated.Public information officer and account manager Julie Sanders said the bomb contained methyl parathion, a toxic pesticide. Sanders occasionally updated the journalists on the situation until the drill was officially over. The explosion didn’t happen. The patients and journalists were volunteers.During the drill, Sanders said the hospital set up a decontamination tent outside the emergency entrance where volunteers were decontaminated. She addressed the press as if the explosion was real, as part of the simulation.USU student and volunteer patient Emily Decker said glowing gel was put on the volunteers in place of the methyl parathion. After the students arrived at the hospital, they were put through the decontamination tent to be washed clean, she said.”We went through the washing stations and then afterward, the incident commander came and he black lighted us because the glow stuff would only glow under black light, and that’s how they analyzed how well they scrubbed us down,” Decker said.USU student Liz Bond said many of the volunteers were given specific instructions and backgrounds. She said some volunteers were unconscious and one was supposed to pretend to have a concussion. “I was 16-weeks pregnant. It was a crazy experience for me,” Bond said. “I got off the bus, and I couldn’t walk; and I was freaking out, and…

<a href=”″>To read the rest of this article on the Utah Statesman website, click here.</a>

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!