Eight different departments responded to a potential HAZMAT situation in Hyde Park Tuesday afternoon. A call came in around 1:50 p.m. from a business at 3681 North Highway 91 complaining about the smell of gasoline in the sewer system.According to Smithfield Fire Department Captain Mike Weibel, a search was conducted in the industrial park in Hyde Park and agencies checked about two blocks in each direction to locate the source of the odor.”With the help of Hyde Park Public Works we were able to narrow it down to a one block area but still weren’t able to find the specific cause (of the smell),” Weibel says.One building was evacuated until meter readings dropped to a safe level, more for health reasons than for fear of fire.Because a sewer line explosion occurred in that same area this summer, at Robertson Manufacturing, crews were cautious and expanded their search trying to locate the source of the fumes.”We were able to narrow it down to the area of highest concentration but not able to identify the specific source,” Weibel continues. Logan City’s Environmental Department helped crews flush the system to ensure there were no lingering problems.Weibel says that the public needs to be reminded about what to do and what not to do with drains.”They have to be careful with what they pour down the drain,” he says, “especially flammable liquids.”He says another cause of the odor could be an evaporated P-trap in a floor drain.”Anybody with a floor drain has a P-trap. The water in there evaporates over time and sewer gas comes into the room. Maybe once a month pour a cup or two of water into the drain to keep it fresh.”Crews from Smithfield, North Logan, and Logan fire departments, Cache County Fire District, Cache County Ambulance, Bear River Health Department, Hyde Park Public Works and the Logan Environmental Department all assisted.
Free News Delivery by Email
Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!