Logan’s late collapse leads to 3-2 overtime loss

<strong>LAYTON—</strong> One day after a season opening home loss to Park City, the Logan girl’s soccer team hit the road to take on the Layton Lancers. Despite leading 2-0 with 20 minutes to play, the Grizzlies came up just short as they fell, 3-2, in overtime.

“We were up 2-0 at the half, and we held that for most of the second half,” Grizzly head coach Mitch Peterson said. “We just lost control the last 14 minutes of the game … we just weren’t consistent.”

Peterson said his team clearly thought the game was over, and when the momentum started to shift he told the Grizzlies he wouldn’t be making many substitutions and they needed to battle.

“I told them, ‘If we lose this, I’m okay with that, because it’s a hard lesson to learn,’” Peterson said. If that’s the way this team needs to that it sucks to lose, that’s how it goes. We were just walking around, and we let them get back in the game.”

Following a goal by Layton in the 60th minute to pull within one, Logan nearly escaped with the victory anyway. However, a strike in the 79th minute by the Lancers equalized the score and sent the match to overtime.

Nine minutes later, Layton finished off the improbable comeback with a Shelby Green header in the final minutes of the first overtime. Green tallied all three goals for the Lancers.

“The goal in the second half was to take control. We were up by two, but we were squeaking by. We were lucky to have those two,” Peterson said. “For the first 20-25 minutes of the second half we took control, but we couldn’t score. We decided it was over, and then we just let down.”

For the game, Layton had 13 corner kicks compared to just three for the Grizzlies.

In the first half, Logan built its lead with solid play from freshman Kanyon Ward.

Ward made a nice assist to set up junior Caitlin McCusky for the Grizzlies first goal in the 34th minute. Two minutes later, Ward didn’t bother with the assist. After beating a couple of Layton defenders, she pulled up from 25 yards out and launched a bullet into the net.

“In some respects, we played a great game,” Peterson said. “We should have been able to get a third goal, wrap it up and be done. We just struggled to finish.”

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!