Garage fire in North Logan

Fire units from North Logan, Smithfield and Logan respond to a garage fire at 1910 N. 1200 E. in North Logan Friday, Dec. 21, 2012.

<strong>North Logan –</strong> A garage fire was quickly contained and not allowed to spread through the rest of the house early Friday afternoon. Fire units from North Logan, Logan and Smithfield responded to a rental property at 1910 North 1200 East at 12:51 p.m. to find fire on the south wall and ceiling in the garage.

North Logan Fire Marshall Jason Killinen said two occupants of the building, renters, called 911 when they saw the fire in the garage and attempted to put out the flames with snow. They evacuated the building and did not suffer any injuries.

One of the residents confirmed that a blanket was left on top of an electric radiator, causing it to overheat and start the fire. The fire caused an estimated $10,000 to $12,000 in damages to the home and was determined to be unintentional.

One fire unit knocked down the flames in the garage while another went inside the home to prevent the fire from spreading.

“The second crew went through the front door and they went upstairs above the fire area,” Killinen said. “They had to remove some of the interior wall. The fire was in the wall but did not cause further damage.”

The fire had extended vertically through the wall and staircase. There were no vehicles in the garage at the time of the fire.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!