<strong>SALT LAKE CITY —</strong> A Hyrum man, severely burned in a farming accident Wednesday morning has died. Vickie King, spokesperson for the University of Utah Burn Center confirmed that Ray Jessop died late Wednesday night. The 81-year-old Jessop had been flown by Life Flight to the Burn Center after being severely burned while clearing weeds at his home. Cache County Sheriff’s Lieutenant Brian Locke says Jessop was using a portable propane torch, burning weeds along a fence line, when his clothing caught on fire.
A neighbor, DeWayne Olsen was the first person to find Jessop, sitting against a trailer. Olsen said Jessop’s clothes were almost completely burned off his body. Olsen called 911 and then tried to help by placing a wet cloth Jessop’s face.
Emergency crews reported to Jessop’s home, near 540 East 100 South in Hyrum, at 11 a.m. Wednesday. They transported Jessop to Logan Region Hospital. He was then flown by Life Flight to the University of Utah Burn Center in Salt Lake City. Doctors say he had third degree burns on 90% of his body.