Fire damages USU extension in St. George

ST. GEORGE, Utah (AP) – Officials with a Utah State University extension in St. George say a fire did major damage to their building and the supplies inside.

Firefighters responded to the USU Washington County Extension about 9 a.m. Wednesday, after the lights went out and staff members noticed flames coming from a ceiling vent in a bathroom.

Three people were inside the building and safely escaped.

USU staff assistance Laurie Terry says it appears all the supplies in the building were damaged.

The top executive at the extension, Paul Hill, tells KSL he thinks damages could mount to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!