USU Veterinary Science building evacuated

LOGAN – Two Utah State University employees were sent to the hospital and the USU Veterinary Science building was evacuated Friday morning after an employee inadvertently put the wrong chemical into an autoclave.

According to USU Public Relations Director Tim Vitale, the chemical Virkon is a solid, but after it was put into the autoclave, it released potentially dangerous gas.

“The employee who opened the autoclave then recognized what happened and evacuated the building,” Vitale said.

The employee who opened the autoclave and one other were sent to the hospital as a precautionary measure. There were seven employees in the facility at the time. The building was expected to be opened again sometime Friday afternoon.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!