Aggies beat Rebels, lose another quarterback

LOGAN – The Utah State football senior class became the winningest senior class in school history Saturday afternoon with a 34-20 win over UNLV. It was a little bittersweet though. The Aggies added another win but lost another quarterback to injury. Quarterback Craig Harrison left the game in the third quarter after being tackled for a loss. Freshman Kent Myers, who played three plays earlier in the game, took the rest of the snaps.

“Looks like he may be out for a while,” Wells said. “I don’t know. We’ll know once we get him an MRI and an X-ray. It doesn’t look good, I will say that.”

Harrison wouldn’t be the only Aggie to leave the game and not return. Nick Vigil left after getting playing time on both sides of the ball, recording six tackles and 51 rushing yards. Wells didn’t have an answer for the seriousness of Vigil’s injury either.

“The extent of it we’ll know when he wakes up tomorrow,” he said.

The game started as a defensive struggle between the two teams after a good opening drive by the Aggies that was stopped just short of the end zone. After that, neither team was able put together a solid drive throughout most the first quarter. The game remained scoreless until Harrison found tight end Jefferson Court in the end zone with 1:29 left in the quarter on a one-yard touchdown pass.

USU took the ball back on the Rebel’s first offensive play the following drive when Nick Vigil sacked quarterback Blake Decker and the defense jumped on the fumbled ball. The fumble recovery would lead to a 27-yard Nick Diaz field goal and a 10-0 lead for USU.

The Rebels would fight back on their next possession with a 44-yard scoring drive. The drive ended on a tipped 31-yard pass caught by wide receiver Kendal Keys in the end zone.

Utah State and UNLV would each score one more touchdown in the first half. The Aggies’ came with 7:17 left in the second quarter on a big 71-yard touchdown catch by Bruce “JoJo” Natson.

“That was my longest touchdown here at Utah State,” Natson said. “I was excited for that.”

The Rebels scored with less than eight seconds left in the half on a two yard pass to tight end Taylor Barnhill that capped off a seven-play, 69-yard drive. Travis Seefeldt blocked the extra point, making the score 17-13 going into halftime.

Running back Joe Hill scored two touchdowns in the second half, one receiving and another on the ground. Diaz added three more points on a 49-yard field goal.

USU’s defense had two interceptions and held the Rebels to 15 rushing yards on 27 attempts.

“We got turnovers tonight,” linebacker LT Filiaga said. “That says big things about our defense. That’s what we’re going for. Also, we made their offense more one-dimensional.”

Harrison had a career-high three touchdowns and a career-high 221 passing yards.

“He was very efficient.” Wells said. “He managed it well and kind of got the guys rallying around him. But he did a nice job up until the injury.”

Myers was 3-5 passing for 45 yards in his debut and ran for 33 yards. Wells said he was proud of his performance.

“I thought he did good,” Wells said. “I thought he handled himself well. He didn’t call any plays the wrong way.

The win out the Aggies at 5-3 on the season and 2-1 in the Mountain West. The team will now play two straight road games. One next Saturday at Hawaii and another on Friday, Nov. 7 against Wyoming.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!