Fire temporarily closes store

LOGAN — Smith’s Marketplace on Main Street was closed temporarily after a small fire started in a heating unit, Sunday morning.

Logan City Fire Marshal Craig Humphreys said the fire was located in a heating and air conditioning unit on the roof of the store.

The first crews on the scene tried unsuccessfully to put out the fire using an extinguisher.  Crews then set up two water lines, one on the roof and one through the store to extinguish the fire.

Humphreys said the fire completely destroyed the heating unit and had begun to spread into the store’s roof.  Damage to the building was minimal.   

The fire was first reported by employees who noticed smoke building inside the store and called 911. 

The store was evacuated while crews located and extinguished the fire. It was later reopened.

Crews from Logan, North Logan, Smithfield, Hyrum and Cache County assisted in extinguishing the fire.

<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>will@cvradio.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!