Students attending Lewiston Elementary school were evacuated Thursday after a gas leak was detected.
Cache County School Deputy Superintendent Mike Liechty said the gas leak was found between the school’s main building and some outside portable classrooms. It was reported just after 12 p.m.
School officials report students were uninjured and evacuated to an off-site location when the smell of gas was detected.
Cache County Sheriff’s Lt. Mike Peterson said a gas pipe was severed by a contractor working on the new school construction. The pipe was quickly repaired but the school was evacuated as a precaution.
Liechty said it was decided to begin sending students home after crews reported it would take three hours to repair the gas line.
Crews cleared the building and allowed the remaining students and staff to re-enter at 1 p.m.
<hr /> <p style=”text-align: center;”>firstname.lastname@example.org