LOGAN — A judge has ordered a 29-year-old Nibley man, accused of sexually abusing a teenage girl, to remain in jail without bail and wait for a preliminary hearing in July.
Juan R. Delatorre appeared in 1st District Court Thursday afternoon. He is charged with 10 counts of forcible sodomy and 10 counts of object rape, all first-degree felonies and carrying a maximum penalty of life in prison.
State attorney Spencer Walsh said Delatorre is alleged to have started abusing the victim when she was 12-years-old and continued until she was 15 or 16. He was arrested May 4, after the victim’s mother caught him attempting to sodomize her.
Walsh told the court Delatorre is not a US citizen and reportedly told the victim’s mother he would flee to Mexico if she talked to the police.
Judge Kevin Allen said even though Delatorre has a right to reasonable bail, he was concerned with the allegations and ordered him to remain in the Cache County Jail without bail. He also ordered him to appear again in court July 7 for a preliminary hearing, to determine if there is substantial evidence to face the 20 charges.
State attorney Barbara Lachmar said previously, Delatorre was a person of trust with the victim and prosecutors are considering amplifying the charges because of the evidence.
<hr /> <p style=”text-align: center;”>email@example.com