Electrical wiring believed to be the cause of apartment fire

LOGAN — A fire Saturday morning damaged a four-unit apartment building near 360 West 550 North, displacing two families.

Logan City Fire Marshal Craig Humphreys said one of the occupants in the apartment awoke to find lite smoke inside her room. She called 911 and then alerted the other apartment occupants, helping to evacuate everyone from the building.

“She did everything right,” said Humphreys. “When fire crews arrived on the scene we were immediately able to fight the fire because the 13 residents were already outside.”

The cause of the fire was later determined to be electrical wiring in the apartment’s attic. Humphreys said the fire burned through the roof of the apartment’s upper units causing significant damage.

Crews had to remove much of the sheet rock and insulation in the ceiling to fight the fire. Damage is estimated to be around $100,000.

Humphreys said the two families who live in the lower units were later allowed to return after the building was inspected and determined to be safe.

The Red Cross is assisting the other two families.

<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>will@cvradio.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!