Officer and Deputy cleared in July shooting

The scene of Wednesday night's standoff in Logan at 300 North 200 East.

LOGAN — After an investigation by multiple agencies, the Cache County Attorney’s Office has cleared the officer and deputy who were involved in the shooting death of Roger Darren Barker, July 29, 2015.

Attorney James Swink issued a letter Tuesday to the Logan City Police Department and Cache County Sheriff’s Office finding the use of deadly force by both men were reasonable and justified.

The letter said, Deputy David Pugmire’s and Officer William Barber’s use of deadly force was necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury to the officer or another person. It concluded, both men acted properly and lawfully.

Back on July 29, officers, deputies and a combined SWAT team were called to a home at 346 North 200 East around 8:30 p.m. after Barker claimed he was going to shoot himself.

During the standoff Barker was shot on his front porch after he fired a handgun in the direction of an officer, striking a patrol car. Pugmire and Barber returned fire, striking Barker and knocking him down. He was transported to Logan Regional Hospital by ambulance where he was later pronounced dead.

Both men were placed on administrative leave as an investigation was conducted by The Critical Investigation Team. The team was made up of over 20 agencies including the Davis County Sheriff’s Office, Utah Attorney General’s Office, Bountiful and Brigham Police Departments.

Swink said the investigation that showed both men were called upon and acted in the line of duty to protect themselves and the public.

Swink concluded by thanking the investigation team for their thorough and comprehensive investigation. Also expressing sympathies to Barker’s family and loved ones.

<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>[email protected]

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!