Idaho family loses their home and beloved dog in Thanksgiving day fire

<p dir=”ltr”><span>A young couple and their infant daughter are struggling to pick up the pieces after a fire tore through their Utah home while they were spending time with family on Thanksgiving Day.</span></p><p dir=”ltr”><span>According to</span> <a href=”http://magicvalley.com/news/local/mini-cassia/burley-family-loses-home-in-thanksgiving-fire/article_3b5db212-7646-5d71-9e43-031e28dc99db.html”><span>MagicValley.com</span></a><span>, Jesse Spencer of Burley, ID left a family dinner on Thursday to let out the family dog and grab some extra silverware for their Thanksgiving feast. When he arrived at his mobile home, he noticed smoke bellowing out of a window and immediately kicked the door in.</span></p><p dir=”ltr”><span>Spencer’s first thought was to save the family’s two dogs. After escorting the puppy out of the home safely, he went back inside to grab the older dog, Dozer. By the time they got back outside, however, it was too late. The dog took one last breath and died in Spencer’s arms.</span></p><p dir=”ltr”><span>”He was more of a child to us than an animal,” said Spencer. “In my heart I truly believe he was still trying to protect the family.”</span></p><p dir=”ltr”><span>Spencer was taken to the hospital to be treated for minor burns, smoke inhalation, and carbon monoxide poisoning.</span></p><p dir=”ltr”><span>Statistics show that</span> <a href=”http://iguardfire.com/media/”><span>over 60% of kitchen fires</span></a> <span>start due to unattended cooking, but Burley Fire Department Assistant Chief Rod Behr said that this fire was caused by an improperly-installed wood stove that was not designed for mobile home use.</span></p><p dir=”ltr”><span>Spencer shared the home with his fiance, Cassie Petro, and their 17-month-old daughter Ellie. It was deemed unlivable by the fire department, and the family wasn’t even allowed to go back inside to see if any of their possessions were salvageable.</span></p><p dir=”ltr”><span>Unfortunately, this wasn’t the only tragic home fire on Thanksgiving Day in the United States. According to local Florida news affiliate</span> <a href=”http://www.wcjb.com/local-news/2015/11/thanksgiving-fire-leaves-family-picking-pieces”><span>WCJB-TV</span></a><span>, an Alachua family returned from holiday festivities to find crews already attempting to contain a massive fire tearing through their home.</span></p><p dir=”ltr”><span>The situation was particularly troubling because the property is home to several horses used by a non-profit organization to provide therapy to people with special needs. First responders immediately moved three horses away from the flames, and no animals were hurt during the blaze.</span></p><p dir=”ltr”><span>As for Spencer and his family, the Burley community is already trying to help them rebound from the tragedy. Casey Mankey, a family friend of the engaged couple, said that the couple is in need of appliances, furniture, clothing, and toys for their daughter, along with cash donations.</span></p><p dir=”ltr”><span>Spencer added that, in the event the family receives more than they can use, they will find another family in need and donate the rest to them.</span></p>

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!