LOGAN — The trial for a 58-year-old Logan man accused of sexual assault has been postponed again, days after DNA test results came back negative.
The two-day bench trial for Michael Anthony was supposed to begin Thursday morning. Court records show though it was rescheduled to begin April 14.
Anthony is accused of sexually assaulting a 20-year-old woman in a bathroom during a 2013 Halloween party. The alleged victim said the assault happened after she became semi-unconscious from drinking and doing drugs at the party.
The victim claimed she heard Anthony’s voice saying how beautiful she was, as she felt herself being assaulted. She said she later woke up in a bedroom, downstairs in the home and had little memory of what else happened.
Anthony was later arrested and charged with forcible sodomy, a first-degree felony.
The trial had been previously postponed after a DNA swab was found by investigators reviewing evidence in the case. The sample was reportedly taken from the victim after the assault occurred and had tested positive for male DNA.
After further testing, the sample failed to match Anthony’s DNA.
Prosecutors said they still believed the defendant was guilty and were moving forward with the case.
Judge Brian Cannell had previously expressed frustration over the delay but said both the victim and defendant have rights.
Anthony faces up to life in prison if found guilty.
<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>firstname.lastname@example.org