LOGAN — A 72-year-old North Logan man pleaded not guilty Monday, to two charges stemming from a vehicle/ATV accident that sent two boys to the hospital last summer. The pleas were entered in 1st District Court after Judge Thomas Willmore ruled there was sufficient evidence to bind the man over for trial.
Erin H. Milligan sat next to his defense attorney as the four teenage victims testified. He is being charged with reckless endangerment, a class A misdemeanor and reckless driving, a class B misdemeanor.
The accident occurred July 29, along a canal road, just north of 3100 North and 1600 East in North Logan.
The four boys told the court how they were all riding on a small four-wheeler, travelling north, when they came upon a white truck, driven by Milligan, travelling south. They said as he got closer, he sped up, striking the ATV and pushing it into the canal, partially pinning one of the boys underneath.
The accident sent two of the boys to the hospital with internal injuries, lacerations and multiple broken bones.
One of the boys, a 13-year-old from North Logan, described his injuries, saying he has had to have 12 surgeries to repair his arm. The boy also broke his pelvis, hip and four-ribs.
Another one of the boys, a 13-year-old from Logan, cried and tearfully wiped back tears as he described how Milligan looked angry and mad, as the defendant’s truck sped up as it approached them.
Milligan did not testify during Monday’s preliminary hearing. Previously, he told investigators that his foot had slipped off the brake and onto the accelerator just before the accident.
North Park Police initially reported both drivers apparently saw each other too late and took evasive action the same way, turning into the canal.
After the accident though, the families of the boys asked for an additional investigation. An investigator with the Utah Highway Patrol interviewed the boys and Milligan further.
<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>email@example.com