LOGAN — The trial for a 54-year-old man accused of multiple burglaries two-years ago is still expected to begin next month, as the judge considers several last minute motions filed by the defendant.
Douglas L. Birkinbine appeared in 1st District Court Tuesday morning for a final pretrial conference, ahead of the five-day trial scheduled to begin July 17. He’s accused of breaking into several homes in Cache Valley during the fall of 2015, and charged with 39 felonies and 13 misdemeanors.
During the hearing, Judge Brian Cannell said Birkinbine, who is representing himself as his own attorney, had filed several motions in the last month. They included a request for a private investigator, and a dismissal of his charges because of how a search warrant was conducted.
State attorney Barbara Lachmar said she was aware of the new motions and planned to file responses against them this week. She also explained that she had met with the defendant multiple times, providing him with copies of the evidence prosecutors have and discussing a possible plea deal.
Judge Cannell expressed concern with the last minute motions and said he didn’t want to move the trial again. He ordered Birkinbine to appear again next week to argue the filed requests. He said if there was a resolution they could talk about it then, otherwise they would proceed to trial.
Prosecutors claim Birkinbine and 52-year-old Victoria Asta are suspected of robbing a home in Paradise at gun point and later leading deputies on a high speed chase that ended in Logan on November 17, 2015. The two are believed to have broken into more than eight residences.
Asta already pleaded guilty for her role in the robberies, and was sentenced to two concurrent terms of one-to-fifteen years in prison.
Birkinbine remains in the Cache County Jail without bail.
<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>email@example.com