LOGAN — The burglary trial for Douglas L. Birkinbine has been canceled in anticipation of a plea agreement that will likely send the 54-year-old man back to prison. The July 17 trial was struck from the court’s calendar and a change of plea hearing was scheduled instead for July 18.
Birkinbine appeared in 1st District Court Wednesday morning, ahead of what would have been a five-day trial. He’s accused of breaking into several homes in Cache Valley during the fall of 2015, and charged with 39 felonies and 13 misdemeanors.
During the appearance, Birkinbine, who is representing himself as his own attorney, told Judge Brian Cannell that he wanted to waive his trial. He also waived his right to a speedy trial, after Judge Cannell expressed concern with the delay of the cases.
State attorney Barbara Lachmar told the court she and Birkinbine had agreed on a plea deal. As part of the deal, prosecutors plan to ask that his sentence be served consecutively. Lachmar asked for additional time while she determined what the possible length of time would be.
Judge Cannell said he would allow prosecutors two-more weeks. He scheduled a change of plea hearing for July 18 and said he would sentence Birkinbine at that time.
Prosecutors claim Birkinbine and 52-year-old Victoria Asta are suspected of robbing a home in Paradise at gun point and later leading deputies on a high speed chase that ended in Logan on November 17, 2015. The two are believed to have broken into more than eight residences.
Asta already pleaded guilty for her role in the robberies, and was sentenced to two concurrent terms of one-to-fifteen years in prison.
Salt Lake County court records show Birkinbine previously pleaded guilty to murder and attempted murder in 1997. He was sentenced to serve one-to-fifteen years in prison and was out on parole when the alleged burglaries took place.
Birkinbine remains in the Cache County Jail without bail.
<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>firstname.lastname@example.org