2 aid workers killed in eastern Congo, 1 taken hostage

GOMA, Congo (AP) — Authorities say two workers with a French aid group have been killed by armed gunmen in a village in eastern Congo while a third has been taken hostage.

The U.N. humanitarian agency said Monday that they had been working for Hydraulique Sans Frontieres. All three workers are Congolese.

The attack took place in the village of Mushikiri in Congo’s North Kivu province. While there was no immediate claim of responsibility, the Mai Mai militia is known to be active in the area.

The U.N. humanitarian agency says worrisome security conditions in North Kivu province are hindering efforts to help the thousands in need there.

Eastern Congo has been home to a myriad of armed groups for the past two decades.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.