LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The Latest on legislation stemming from the Larry Nassar sexual abuse scandal (all times local):
Michigan legislation that stems from the Larry Nassar sexual abuse scandal is moving forward in the Legislature.
A state Senate committee unanimously passed the bills Tuesday after hearing from victims of the imprisoned former sports doctor who molested gymnasts and other young athletes under the guise of treatment.
The bills could win approval in the full state Senate next week.
The measures would significantly extend the time limit for victims of sexual assault to sue and add college employees, youth sports coaches, trainers and volunteers to the state’s list of people who must report suspected abuse or neglect to child protective services. It also would stiffen criminal penalties for those mandatory reporters who fail to act.
The Catholic Church’s lobbying arm in Michigan is concerned about a longer statute of limitations, but so far that bill is advancing without changes.
The Catholic Church’s lobbying arm in Michigan says it has concerns with a bill that would retroactively lengthen the time limit for victims of childhood sexual abuse to file lawsuits.
The legislation is included in a package supported by victims of disgraced former sports doctor Larry Nassar. It would let accusers who now generally must sue by their 19th birthday file suit up until they turn 48.
A Michigan Catholic Conference spokesman confirmed Tuesday that extending the statute of limitations is “of concern,” but he withheld further comment until the group can fully review the measure’s impact. The Catholic Church has paid out more than $3 billion to settle clergy abuse cases in the U.S.
A state Senate committee leader says it will vote to pass the bill later Tuesday.