ATHENS, Greece (AP) — The Greek government has accepted a demand for a prison transfer by a jailed anarchist suspected of seriously injuring a former prime minister, following days of violence and vandalism by the accused bomber’s supporters.
The justice ministry said Friday that it will move the 29-year-old man back to an Athens prison, from a jail in a town in central Greece. It said the decision was part of a plan to turn the Athens maximum security prison — where several dozen convicted anarchist terrorists are held — into a pre-trial holding area.
The suspect, who is accused of sending a parcel bomb that seriously injured the former prime minister, Lucas Papademos last year, has been hospitalized following a thirst and hunger strike held to demand his transfer.
Earlier Friday, more than a dozen youths carrying hammers and iron bars attacked shops in central Athens, damaging several storefronts. It was the second such attack on a commercial street this week by anarchists voicing solidarity with the bombing suspect.
Other similar incidents in recent days included a hand-grenade attack on an Athens police station that injured a passing taxi driver, daily fire-bombings against riot police and numerous cases of arson and vandalism.
The public order ministry said Friday it is adding 200 police officers to patrol Athens in response to the attacks, after opposition parties accused the left-led government of showing excessive tolerance for anarchist violence.