LOGAN — The 20-year-old Logan man, accused of raping a teenage girl last summer, is expected to accept a plea deal and plead guilty to reduced charges. Jacob M. Selby-Brewer was originally scheduled to be tried in October on charges of rape, a first-degree felony, and unlawful sex with a minor, a class B misdemeanor.
Selby-Brewer appeared in 1st District Court Monday morning. His attorney told the court his client had completed a psycho-sexual evaluation. It had been delayed because of the holidays. He explained that they had worked out a plea deal and requested a hearing where they will plead guilty. The details of the agreement were not disclosed.
According to an arrest warrant, Selby-Brewer is accused of raping a 16-year-old girl in June 2017. The victim claimed they were having consensual relations when she began to experience “extreme pain,” and told the defendant to stop. He allegedly refused, telling the victim he wasn’t finished. He then pinned her wrists with his hands, and continued to sexually assault her as she told him to stop and leave repeatedly.
Later during a pretext phone call, Selby-Brewer told the victim he felt bad about what happened. He said he acted stupid and wasn’t thinking. He later explained that he was extremely drunk at the time of the assault and could not remember what happened.
In May, Selby-Brewer waived his right to a preliminary hearing and pleaded not guilty to both charges. He is being held in jail on $21,000 bail and could face up to life in prison.
During Wednesday’s court appearance, Judge Thomas Willmore ordered Selby-Brewer to appear again January 24 for a change of plea hearing.