Jury trial set for Nibley man charged with sexually assaulting child

Booking photo for Carlos Pimentel (Courtesy: Cache County Jail).

LOGAN — A judge expressed frustration over the trial delays for a 31-year-old Nibley man accused of sexually assaulting a child almost two-years ago. Carlos Pimentel was arrested in January 2018 and later released after posting bail.

Pimentel appeared in 1st District Court Monday afternoon. He was previously charged with two counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, a first-degree felony; possession or use of a controlled substance, a third-degree felony; and a misdemeanor of possessing drug paraphernalia.

Pimentel’s defense attorney, Jeanne Campbell, told the court that she had just been hired by the defendant. She asked for a jury trial to be scheduled, while she goes through what had been done in the case so far.

Judge Kevin Allen set the three-day trial to begin January 22, 2020. He warned that he would not allow the trial to be delayed anymore.

“I’m not going to grant a continuance and I’m pretty sure my predecessor, (Judge Angela Fonnesbeck) will either,” said Judge Allen.

Court records show, Pimentel previously waived his right to a preliminary hearing in September. He could face up to life in prison if convicted.


will@cvradio.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.