LOGAN — Emergency medical crews are issuing a warning after a toddler almost died Thursday afternoon. The child was found hanging from a window blind cord.
Logan City Fire Marshal Craig Humphreys said paramedics were called to the home near 682 North 200 East at 3:30 p.m. The child, who was under 2-years-old, was found unconscious by a family member, who had called 911.
“It was originally reported to us that the child was not breathing and that CPR had been started by family members,” explained Humphreys. “By the time that we arrived, the child was breathing on its own, and was crying.”
Emergency crews were at the home in less than two minutes. They transported the child to Logan Regional Hospital and later to a Salt Lake area hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Humphreys said the accident is a scary reminder about the dangers of window blind and curtain cords.
“It is important for parents to survey their home. They can look for things like cords and strings on blinds. Make sure and keep children’s toys, furniture, cribs, and beds like that away from those cords. They can also cut those cords so they are as short as possible, where the blinds will still operate.”
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission calls corded window coverings one of the top five hidden hazards in American homes, with infants and children accidentally becoming entangled in window blind cords.