LOGAN — The rape trial for Kay K. Moosman has been postponed for a third time after additional evidence was provided in the case. The 59-year-old Mendon man’s two-day trial was scheduled for October 17, after two previous dates were canceled.
Moosman appeared in 1st District Court Monday morning. He was previously charged with rape, sodomy and object rape, all first-degree felonies; along with voyeurism and multiple counts of violating a protective order, all misdemeanors.
Moosman was arrested in June 2018 after the alleged victim reported the assaults to Cache County Sheriff’s deputies. The defendant was apparently acquainted with the woman, who had previously filed a protective order against him.
Later, Moosman is alleged to have tried to cancel the woman’s cell phone account and vehicle insurance. When confronted by officers, he said the whole thing was a big misunderstanding.
Moosman waived his right to a preliminary hearing in September 2018. He also pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.
During Monday’s court appearance, Cache County deputy attorney Dane Murray said Moosman is currently facing a civil case along with the criminal cases. As part of the investigation, the alleged victim provided additional evidence and phone records. Defense attorneys were asking for the continuance of the trial, to give them time to review the new material.
Judge Thomas Willmore said he would allow attorneys to review the evidence. He scheduled a pre-trial conference for November 18.
Moosman could face up to life in prison if convicted. He is currently out of jail after posting $5,000 bail.