Fourth trial date set for Willard man accused of raping USU student

Booking photo for Tyler S. Call (Courtesy: Cache County Jail).

LOGAN — The jury trial for a 24-year-old Willard man, suspected of raping a Utah State student more than two years ago, has been postponed again for a third time. Tyler S. Call was originally arrested in April 2018.

Court records show Call appeared in 1st District Court Tuesday morning. He faces one count of rape, a first-degree felony.

Police report that Call went with the alleged victim to her room late on the night of Sept. 8, 2017. While there, they started off talking to one another from opposite ends of the room and then ended up snuggling on her bed. According to a probable cause statement, he asked her for sex multiple times and she repeatedly told him “no.” However, he reportedly ignored her and raped her.

The alleged assault was reported to USU officials Sept. 10, one day after the incident happened.

Call was interviewed by officers on April 24 at the USU Police Department, before being arrested. He was later released from jail after posting $20,000 bail.

A four-day jury trial was originally scheduled for Oct. 2019. It was cancelled just weeks before, after both Call and his attorney, Darwin Overson, failed to appear in court for a final pretrial conference.

The trial was rescheduled for earlier this month and then postponed for Feb. 25. The continuance was to allow the attorneys more time to prepare.

During Tuesday’s court appearance, Overson reported that he still wasn’t prepared for the February trial. He asked for two more months to get ready. Judge Brian Cannell granted the third continuance and set the four-day trial to begin May 12. He ordered attorneys for both sides to appear for a final pretrial conference April 13.

Records show Call was living in Logan at the time the alleged rape occurred. He was not attending USU at the time and was never enrolled as a student.

Call remains out of jail on pretrial supervision. He could face up to life in prison if convicted.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • anonymous February 5, 2020 at 10:18 am Reply

    This has been dragged out far too long. Attorneys on both sides have had almost two years to prepare and yet they say they need more time. Sounds like incompetence to me and both the defendant and the accuser are suffering from it. I still have the question as to why it took the police seven months to call in the defendant for questioning after the accuser reported the rape. Far too long and far too suspect in my opinion.

  • anonymous February 13, 2020 at 12:32 pm Reply

    I went out with this guy a few times in 2019, and I found out about all of this from an internet article 7 months after we first started going out. This should have ended months, even years ago. Everyone is being hurt by this, and as I know from this, others may be dragged into this and hurt too.

  • Anonymous May 2, 2020 at 11:09 pm Reply

    So I have a question and maybe Mr. Feelright can look into this. The pretrial conference and trial for Tyler Call is no longer on the court calendar. Has it been postphoned once again or the charges been dropped?

  • Anonymous June 14, 2020 at 5:12 pm Reply

    Weird….the rescheduled final pretrial hearing was on the court calendar for Monday June 15. I just checked the calendar again and its been removed. Postphoned yet again or charges dropped? Perhaps Mr. Feelwright can do his job and look into this.

  • Anonymous July 3, 2020 at 12:21 am Reply

    Called the court myself. No idea why the June 15th final pretrial hearing was moved but it was…to September 14th

  • Anonymous September 14, 2020 at 7:45 pm Reply

    So the rescheduled final pretrial hearing was today. I wonder what the outcome was…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.